Large Vessel Bow Thruster Motors
Bow thrusters have become commonly used in larger offshore vessels to help ships maneuver near coastal waters, channels, or when entering or leaving port in turbulent waters. These thrusters are generally powered by electric motors. For optimal power and outstanding reliability, turn to bow thruster motors by Louis Allis, an industry-leading manufacturer of electric motors for bow thrusters.
Larger vessels can have major difficulties navigating along coastlines and within the tight confines of channels. In response to these challenges, shipbuilders install bow thrusters – shaft-driven propellers – on the forward part, or bow, of the ship. Smaller in size than the main propeller, bow thrusters help maneuver the ship more quickly, particularly at low speeds. This helps the ship maneuver with less need for assistance from tugboats and allows the ship to spend less time at port, all of which can translate into cost savings.
Electric Motors for Bow Thrusters
In many cases, shipbuilders turn to electric motors to drive bow thrusters: they’re quieter than conventional engines, can be powered by a range of alternatives, are more efficient than other types of motors, and require less long-term maintenance. However, off-the-shelf electric motors don’t offer the torque or precise control required for maritime use.
Louis Allis has responded with industry-leading AC and DC electric motors specifically for use with bow thrusters. Rather than general-purpose electric motors, our high-voltage electric motors are custom-built for use aboard offshore vessels to drive bow thrusters and designed to withstand the harsh conditions of maritime applications.
- Our manufacturing facility is ISO 9001:2015 certified
- Motors are manufactured, remanufactured, or repaired to a range of industry standards:
- NEMA MG
- UL Standards
- Specialty three phase electric motors specifically designed to meet the needs of your application
- Low, medium, and high voltage specialty three phase motors up to 20,000 HP available
- Manufactured at Louis Allis’ ISO 9001:2015 certified facility in Warrior, Alabama
- Capable of duplicating or modifying legacy Louis Allis motors and generators
- We come to you, with a full range of field services available locally and worldwide
With more than 100 years of experience, Louis Allis has all your motor types covered. Louis Allis can also provide custom motors for other applications:
Louis Allis can design and build a "Fit and Function" replacement for any large or specialty electric motor regardless of the original motor OEM.
- Reverse engineering services
- Providing on-site engineering to collect critical information required for building a "fit and function" replacement
- Opportunity to incorporate any design improvements or modifications when building replacement motors
Quality is our top priority for new electric motor manufacturing and electric motor repair at our ISO 9001:2015 certified facility. We live by the motto "Quality applied with Louis Allis pride".
Our Factory Recertification Program exists to help customers who need a quick solution to a problem that can’t wait for a custom build.
Full Service Shop
At Louis Allis we have the capability of repairing a variety of electric motors, regardless of manufacturer or severity of repair needed.